HC SEEKS CENTRE: NETFLIX RESPONSES TO MEHUL CHOKSI PLEA ON ‘BAD BOY BILLIONAIRES ‘ DOCUMENTARY SERIES2 min read

By- Shreeya Shukla

The Delhi High Court on Monday sought the responses from the Centre as well as from the online video streaming platform that is Netflix on the PNB scam accused Mehul Choksi’s appeal against the dismissal of the plea to pre-screen the ‘Bad Boy Billionaires’ documentary series.
A bench comprising of Chief Justice D N Patel and Justice Prateek Jalan issued the notice to that of the Centre along with the Netflix and sought their stand by that of September 23 rd on the Choksi’s appeal.
Advocate Vijay Aggarwal, appearing on behalf of the PNB scam accused, and said that he was only seeking that the matter is remanded back to that of a single judge who dismissed as not maintainable the plea for the pre-screen of the series.
The single judge had on that of August 28 denied any kind of any relief to be granted to the Choksi, saying that the writ petition for the enforcement of private right was not maintainable.
However, the high court had said that his remedy lies in that of the civil suit as well as granted him the liberty to raise this particular issue in a civil suit.
Moreover, Choksi, the promoter of the Gitanjali GEMS, along with his nephew, Nirav Modi, is accused in the Rs 13,500- crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case as well, which is now well known to everyone.
Choksi left the country last year only and it was then granted citizenship of Antigua & Barbuda.
However, talking about the documentary, which was earlier scheduled to be released in India dated on September 2nd, was promoted by the Netflix as: “This investigative documentary series explores the greed, fraud as well as the corruption that built up – and then ultimately brought down India’s most infamous tycoons”.

Read also: HC junks PIL To Revoke Kanhaiya Kumar’s Citizenship, Fines Petitioner Rs 25k